Traumatic thyroid hematoma associated with thyroid carcinoma.
Thyroid hematoma secondary to blunt trauma is uncommon, and no consensus exists for its management. We describe the case of a 46-year-old man who presented with neck swelling after he had sustained a blunt-trauma injury to his neck while playing soccer. Imaging revealed a large mass consistent with a thyroid hematoma. The patient was admitted for observation and followed up with serial imaging. He was eventually discharged without surgical intervention. However, he later underwent a thyroid lobectomy to treat compressive symptoms and for cosmetic reasons. Pathology revealed that the patient had a papillary thyroid carcinoma, which might have predisposed him to the hemorrhage. Thyroid hematoma secondary to blunt trauma has been documented in normal thyroid glands and in glands with preexisting benign pathology, but to the best of our knowledge, no report associating this condition with a thyroid carcinoma has previously been reported in the literature. A neoplasm should be suspected in a case of thyroid hematoma that fails to resolve with conservative treatment. The management of this condition is surgeon- and case-specific, and the overall prognosis is good.
World Congress on Larynx Cancer 2015
26 – 30 July 2015
Cairns Convention Centre
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
T: +61 3 9249 1273
To register and submit an abstract visit: www.wclc2015.org
Closure of abstract submissions: Sunday 1 March 2015
Closure of early registration: Sunday 14 June 2015
Conference "Melanoma and thyroid cancer" 15-19 april 2013. Belgrad, Serbia
Congress WFSOS "Surgical Oncology " Moscow,Russia 28-31.05.2014
- Serbian cancerology week in conjunction with School of oncology of WFSOS Written on Friday, 19 August 2016 00:00 Read more...
- International scientific educational school in Bukhara Written on Thursday, 03 March 2016 06:00 Read more...
WFSOS Workshop 19-20 of February 2016 Chelyabinsk, Russia
- VI cycle of International Oncology Week Written on Tuesday, 13 October 2015 09:00 Read more...
- 31/10 - 05/11/2014 The 5th Cycle of the International Week of Oncology Integrated Educational Standards of Treatment in Oncology and Plastic Surgery: Technologies and Innovations Written on Tuesday, 30 September 2014 16:00
Program WFSOS School 2-4. November 2019, Roma , University Tor Vergata
XI School WFSOS
- Announcement Written on Monday, 21 May 2018 00:00 Read more...